Weaning can be an exciting time for both parents and baby, but we are also aware that it can pose difficult challenges if your baby does not take too solids as well as you had hoped for.
The timely introduction of complementary feeds when the infant is 6 months old is a fun learning time. Parents and caregivers could find ways to make this stage enjoyable. Here are some tips to get you going:
- Introduce single foods slowly over a period of time. This way, if your baby has an allergic reaction or does not take too well, you can easily know what food caused their reaction.
- Prepare it hygienically. At the start, it may be easier to prepare baby’s meals separately until they grow and start to eat family meals. Make sure foods are well cleaned, and remember to clean your hands too.
- Start with the simplest consistency of foods – usually blended/ pureed- and build on that. As baby gets used to the different textures, they are learn how to chew and swallow, eventually eating the same food as the rest of the family.
- Introduce different textures and a variety of colors to baby’s diet, making sure it is also balanced.
- Babies will make a mess as they learn how to feed – it is part of the process. Think reaching out for foods with their hands, learning to put it in their mouths and learning how to use spoons. Try and enjoy the journey.
Meeting your baby’s nutritional needs is a gift, both to their future and to the community. What tips would you add?
Tunza Mama Weaning Package
Remember, we have a weaning package available for babies above 6 months of age. It contains lots of good stuff + practical cook sessions for you! These includes:
- support as you transition from EBF (Exclusive Breastfeeding) to pintroducing solids.
- A readiness assessment for weaning to be sure that your baby is ready to start solids.
- Practical and theoretical training on ideal meal preparation. This training covers appropriate nutrition, food variety and portion sizes as your baby goes through the different stages of weaning.
- Follow up sessions after 4 to 6 weeks of the initial session.
What are you waiting for? Get in touch with us today in the tabs above, or simply whastapp us on 0794 092 380